REVIEW HC Amigo - Shooting Review

Edit: I now have a replacement for my first amigo in hand and will post shortly on the shooting review. Overall the this Amigo is not as fit an polished as the first, but is perfectly OK for the price payed. The First Amigo looked like a hand fitted custom, with out a machine mark anywhere. The second has obvious machine marks inside the slide, and some of the exterior corners around the grip safety and MSH show machine chatter at just tips of the corners. The trigger is slightly looser in this second one too. The second is more along the lines of what I was expecting. At first glance a gorgeous 1911, but as you get up close an personal you see some of the machine marks. Nothing a casual observer would notice.

Well I picked it up today. Opening the box, here was a 1911 with the fit and finish of a fine Colt(now an inside joke more later) Although I for some reason had it more pictured as a micro 1911 then it is.

Fit was tight, easy to hand cycle. Very oily and greasy with the smelly shipping grease. Got it home and cleaned it up.

First thing, I ditched the inexpensive redish grips for a set of Colt checkered wrap around grips. I cleaned it all up and greased with Tetra, and oiled with breakfree.

Off to the range. Signing in I picked up a Kimpro officers mag to go with the ACT Mag it came with. ( I honestly dislike the ACT mag, as this is a concealed carry gun why have a huge bumper pad hanging down? KimPro is flush fit.

Onto the range, load up 7 and 7. Sling shot it, and... it stops a 1/4" from going into battery. So I slap the rear and into battery it is. Fire, eject, jam. Locked the slide up 1/4" outta battery. repeat slap fire eject, jam 14 more times. Sometimes the slide would go into battery with a slap, sometimes I had to wrench it back and eject the round and start over. for 14 rounds and I had had enough.

Disappointed i went onto work to ponder it all day, I also stripped it down at work and cleaned the firing pin, and extractor(issue here).

When I got home, I tore it down, gave it another thorough cleaning. Then I got out the flitz and felt wheel, and polished the chamber and feed ramp.

I then took down the recoil spring and replaced it with a Kimber spring. Now for this initial testing I have left the spring as long as my Pro size spring. I very well may have over sprung it. But it is severely under sprung from the factory. This I confirmed from my neighbors defender when he got home. The ACA takes 1/4 the effort to rack then the defender. It also explains why it was throwing my casings 20ft to the right upon ejection.

RESULT: Ramp and chamber are MUCH smoother. The slide no longer shuts with a click, but a authoritative chunk sound. Much more effort is needed for the slide to rack it.

ISSUES: Extractor, the rear is cut too deep allowing it to clock in the slide. Although this has yet to be an issue, it does clock 5-8degrees of free play.

Slide stop, required some touch up with sand paper to be usuable to release the slide, the edges were very sharp and held too tight to the slide. (I could see the usefulness of a Extended lever here, although I prefer to slingshot the slide.)

This 1911 was not nearly the effortless 1911 of my springfield, Taurus, or Kimber, that all functioned flawlessly outta the box. BUT the fit and finish of this one is excellent. So much so that when I was in the range house with the Colt grips on it, all three VERY confident police armorors passed it around and no one figured out that it was not a colt upon inspection, nobody read the right side. They assumed it was a new model of the officer, since the fit and finish are excellent and the grips read Colt, and the feel and trigger were awesome.

The trigger has a deeper curve to it then most I have fired but it feels excellent to me, trigger is crisp and very light, 3-4#'s outta the box.

I have yet to check the extractor tension if it is too high. and it it becomes a problem with the clocking, I see a replacement or a Wilson in the future. EDIT tension tested and OK. Extractor remains a disappointment with the clocking issue though.

The quality is such that I have no issue putting a few more coins into my $489 Amigo (yes I got rung up wrong, I got rung up for a blued model since it was the only one in their books, and the boss wasnt there). This gun will become a primary carry gun if it pans out.

More next week as I get it back to the range and see how my tweeks have worked.
    Last edited by triehl27; September 29th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Founding Member (First 100) Otto N Sure's Avatar

Re: REVIEW HC Amigo - Shooting Review

Please post a pic of your HC Amigo!! The only HC Amigo's I've seen are on the American Classic and Metro Arms websites. I'm really looking forward to your future reports.
    Otto N. Sure
    NRA Life
    SASS Life
    Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    CZFirearms.US Moderator

As soon as I can find my camera I will.

I got a reply of "disappointing" from the review on another forum. I'm not disappointed. The issue appears to be an under sprung recoil spring. about 10#'s maybe, I can compress it with two fingers and hold it pretty easily. And I had the part to replace it. So we'll see how it goes, but I am just as optimistic as I was when I picked it up.

Fit a new fireing pin stop I will pass this to Bersasales for him to read.
    "You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

Michael,

I took it to the range again today with the new recoil spring. Same jams only this time they really got stuck, the new recoil spring slammed in tighter and harder. I had two other experienced shooters fire it and experience the same failure to feed and return to battery.

Upon picking up a round, the slide jams tight about 1/4" out of battery. jiggling and quite a bit of effort is required to get the slide back and the cartridge free.

Sitting here thinking about this I realize that it might be the lugs having a hard time fitting into the slide upon closure while pushing a new round.

The chamber is clean and smooth.

The Extractor has proper tension.

The feed ramp is smooth and polished.

The recoil spring has more then enough oooph to close the slide.

BUT if the barrel lugs were dragging going into battery it would explain why it is so hard to get the slide to pull back after it jams.

I'm gonna go take a look at um now. I know when I was cleaning it occurred to me that they were usually sharp angled compared to my other 1911's. they could be dragging in the slide prior to return to battery, making the hard slap to the rear of the slide the necessarily force to put them into their grooves

ADD No that doesn't appear to be it, as it has had 25rnds through it now, and there is not a scratch in the slide or on the hood or lugs to indicate wear. there are some full length marks showing recoil and just wearing in on the barrel, but nothing out of the ordinary.
    Last edited by triehl27; September 25th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Sent it in for warrenty before you do somthing that might void it. Sent to La. Your id the first on I have heard of trouble I advised eagle about the firing pin stop and clocking We have talked about this before. but wasn't on Amigo
    "You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

I am not sure who I will send it too. Either Eagle, or Davidsons warrenty program. I believe I have to pay the shipping in either case.

Do not send it to Eagle, will only delay getting it repaired. I know that Davidson's advertises that they will replace it, but I don't know what they'd do if you caught them without one in stock.

There's a list of warranty shops on this forum. Reynerson's, in Baton Rouge, has received some good reviews. The gun store you bought it from could send it to them via regular mail & it'd be cheaper than you shipping it direct via UPS or FedX.

P.S. If you send it back to Davidson's, don't you have to get the gun store to do it for you, mainly to be sure all the proper paperwork is done? They should be able to find out if Davidson's does have a replacement on hand.

The fastest, easiest turn around was through Davidson's warrenty, so I should have a new Amigo in hand Weds, or Thurs. They send a call tag for it too, so free to me.

Update above posted. Shooting review will be up shortly after I get to the range with it. Look for a new post.