Founding Member (First 100)

Citadel Compact 1911's

We'll find out later today how good a pistol the Citadel Compact 1911 is, my dear wife bought me one for my birthday, and it finally came in this week. I got it home and cleaned up this evening, we'll hit the range later today and try it out. Fit and finish seems nice for the price, just like the AC, under $500.00. First impressions: The sights need changed, there is not even a painted white spot on the front sight, and these old eyes don't pick stuff up as easily as back in the day. Since they're stock Novack style sights, I'm planning on getting a set of XS "Big Dot" sights on it soon.

Founding Member (First 100) bcrtops's Avatar

Re: Citadel Compact 1911's

If Armscor still making the Citadel, it should be nearly the same as the RIA compact & a very fine little shooter they are.
    A little fingernail polish or model paint on that front sight is all many of us need.
    Have fun & shoot safe !

Just paint front sight and shoot away.
    "You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

I don't think I'm liking the extended beavertail on this critter at all! It did shoot well, and was more accurate than the operator usually is. I had a few instances of it failing to go into battery, which is a concern, but I saw on another forum a fix for that issue. And I'll still likely be sending the slide to Novack for a set of XS "Big Dot" tritium sights.

By not going into battery, do you mean the round started into the chamber, but the slide just not going all the way forward? The range officer, where I used to shoot, introduced me to 'running it wet' which helped that with my Kimber. Before loading up at the range, lock the slide back & put a couple drops of oil on the slide rails with it pointed down, then work it back & forth a few times to spread it. Wipe it down afterwards or it'll 'bleed' all over everything in your bag.

The slide would come back nearly into battery, and stop. A quick slap on the rear of the slide would make it go into battery, but that's a problem that makes it unreliable for a carry gun IMHO. I'd seen others who have these pistols complain about the problem, so I wasn't too surprised when it did it.

You really shouldn't have to run any gun "wet" IMHO to get it to work properly. All that does for you is add a problem from the crap from shooting gets into the oil, and makes the sliding parts slow from friction from propellant not burned.

I was introduced to 1911's from the military, where the "slop" of the collected parts didn't have a problem functioning with crap in the sliding parts. They worked much like why the AK-47 functions even dirty, the parts aren't tight, so collected trash don't impede function.

This little monster is gonna take some messing with it to make it function properly, and it still might not get into my carry rotation, it weighs right at about 32 ounces empty, that's heavy compared to my usual carry pieces. But the felt recoil isn't the reassuring slap of a full-sized 1911, it's more a slam on the web of your hand. That will have to be remedied as well, maybe some Houge grips will help that.

Running wet is only for during break-in & does create a mess & require a little more effort when cleaning. I guess this is due to manufacturers attempting to tighten up those loose tolerances. Anyway, after about 100 rounds I reverted back to normal lube with no further problems.

1/506 Do you have any spent brass, if so look at the attached photo. Are there any marks in the area I specified? You possibly may be experiencing an extractor problem. Yes extractors out of tune can cause a gun not to go into battery.

LIFE MEMBER

That's how I run all my 1911 or any auto from box I make sure barrel clear . Oil the slide rails rack slide a few time and get to shooting Be it American Classic my Dan Wesson or a Ed brown. Its going to get 50 rounds this way. Then cleaned. All 5 of the KelTec. broke in this way . On yours just clean up feed ramp a little with come fine sand paper(no mirror polish needed just smooth to fingernail. That and shooting should fix very fast,

Now as for those Sloppy Military 1911's. The ones we carried on duty were plain and simple wore out from shooting ,loading, clearing, unloading, clearing and rebuilding. I have owned MINT USGI that were brought back from WWII That were carried by pilots or other personal and were likely never fired in combat. . These mint pistols are anything but loose and sloppy They were every but as tight as the new Colts made to day. . They shot as well as any 1911 Colt I have in my collection. The loose wasn't from factory . The inaccuracy wasn't from factory. It was from well used carried ,fired , rebuild and old age Remmember they stopped making the GI 1911's at end of WWII . So those in later wars were carried in WII, Korea , Nam and every other action or duty weapon till replaced in the mid 80's .

My current shooter USGI is all 1941 Colt except better fixed sights and a aftermarket barrel fitted. It will give these new 1911's all they want on a range. A 1911 can rattle all wants the accuracy is a properly fit barrel and bushing. Its same lock up every time . Rattle slide no big deal. That just wear and tear. of years of abuse.
    "You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

XS sights are great, put a set on my Amigo a while back. front sight a Big Dot tritium, rear just the white line. Pictures here if you're interested.
    http://www.americanclassic1911forum....bout-the-Amigo

fifth one down page

Founding Member (First 100) crazy charlie's Avatar

Might be the extractor needs tuned, but all the other ideas about lubing are good. I'd run it for a while and see if that doesn't fix the problem. Nothing like a NIB pistol not working as it should that would really tick me off.