Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the best NON 1911 style 45 ACP handgun????

I'm starting the voting off with the Smith and Wesson 1917! Easy to use, clean and maintain...just plain easy, reliable, lightweight, and reloads quickly with full or half moon clips.

I actually saw this post on another forum and thought it would be a cool discussion item on AC forum.

I also really want to know what you think and WHY.

I said handgun that means pistol or revolver. No single shots please.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Founding Member (First 100) bcrtops's Avatar

Re: What's the best NON 1911 style 45 ACP handgun????

The all metal CZ's & clones (IMI/IWI "Baby Eagles", the EAA Tanfoglio's, other copies).

Reasons:
    -- available in all the common semi-auto calibers, as well as .45acp, just as the 1911 is available in many
    -- come in double or single action
    -- balanced & easy shooters
    -- reversed slide rails, keep center of barrel lower, easing recoil & muzzle flip
    -- most have safeties that function like the 1911 (other than the Israeli ones, which have slide mounted safeties)

(any good revolver using moonclips is a pretty good choice!)

Founding Member (First 100) Dv8r's Avatar

Can't answer that yet, I have a few more to buy and test.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrtops View Post
    The all metal CZ's & clones (IMI/IWI "Baby Eagles", the EAA Tanfoglio's, other copies).

Reasons:
    -- available in all the common semi-auto calibers, as well as .45acp, just as the 1911 is available in many
    -- come in double or single action
    -- balanced & easy shooters
    -- reversed slide rails, keep center of barrel lower, easing recoil & muzzle flip
    -- most have safeties that function like the 1911 (other than the Israeli ones, which have slide mounted safeties)

(any good revolver using moonclips is a pretty good choice!)
    I like the Smith as opposed to the "at the time" cruder made Colt model 1917.

I have been told by many high value competitive shooters that the CZ line is an awesome accurate and reliable weapon, 1. I was not 45 ACP aware with CZ so this is good info. My "beef" would be the safeties on that if DA then why not decock and "HOT" - I love the Beretta cougar 8045 but that dumb safety that should have been could have been a decocker "G Model" rather than the "F" only stance they took with the Cougar design. Thank you for the insight on the CZ's and clones.....I have also been told that the EAA Tanfoglio's are the best of this group...I have noting to base this on other than being "told" have not seen one at a match yet. I can see where muzzle flip would be somewhat less with this design. If IDF uses them and has used them for any amount of time, I imagine they are of very good design (I know that comment will bring volumes on sand cuts on FAL bolt carriers...bla bla bla....) Pistol in 45 ACP that you would trust your life to. I'd love to hear about them.

Keep in mind that you can run 2.5 - 3.5 grain of bullseye under any 45 ACP booolit WC, SWC, Ball..."Light ball" with the S&W 1917 and still get what i call splatter knock down power on target, be it metal plates of whatever your target is.....plus the old smith action can be tuned to where DA is like almost as smooth and short as single action or certainly SA on many pistols. I just become all thumbs messing with the clips as opposed to box magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dv8r View Post
    Can't answer that yet, I have a few more to buy and test.

Folks like yo0urself are why I started this thread....I hope it will be very informative to you. There's a few "old timers" on this forum that I would consider their opinion very highly. Stay tuned.

Founding Member (First 100) bcrtops's Avatar

The IWI "Baby Eagle" I had in .45acp -- the safety was a de-cocker lever on the slide. Was very accurate piece -- one of the SIL's has it now -- loves it for range/target/home defense.

The EAA--Tanfoglio in .45acp I had was a dbl. action & the "safety" was actually a de-cocking lever. I prefered their single action, match grade pistols, but never carried one. CZ-75 in 9mm I had, I believe was a de-cocker lever -- don't remember. No longer own any CZ's or clones as have reverted to 1911 format -- heritage, rich history, born in USA, etc.

One of the SIL's did play some of the "games" with a Tanfoglio in .40 -- he still owns the pistol, but quit the "games." A daughter has one of same in 9mm, but doesn't shoot it much & don't remember what type action it has, but all metal versions, both.

VIP Founding Member (First 100) R.Ph. 380's Avatar

I've had very limited experience with a non-1911 45s but love my Bersa 45UC SS for it's DA/SA action and trigger. Carries almost as nicely as my Amigo and feels almost as good in my hand. I really would like to try the CZ's but think that I might as well stay with the 1911 since they'll weigh about the same.

Bill
    'I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded' (stolen from another forum)

The Bill Of Rights. (Void where prohibited by law.)

45 ACP because once is plenty

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    I've had very limited experience with a non-1911 45s but love my Bersa 45UC SS for it's DA/SA action and trigger. Carries almost as nicely as my Amigo and feels almost as good in my hand. I really would like to try the CZ's but think that I might as well stay with the 1911 since they'll weigh about the same.

Bill

Hey Bill,

I am not aware of this gun at all. I'm going to see if a lgs has one so I can check it out. many thnaks for that.

VIP Founding Member (First 100) R.Ph. 380's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SKYDOG308 View Post
    Hey Bill,

I am not aware of this gun at all. I'm going to see if a lgs has one so I can check it out. many thnaks for that.
    They stopped making the Stainless Slide in 2007 but might be some used around. Still make a great Matte and nickle 45 UC. DA/SA Very smooth trigger very ergonomic

Here's one of mine: Attachment 454

Bill
    'I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded' (stolen from another forum)

The Bill Of Rights. (Void where prohibited by law.)

45 ACP because once is plenty

I meant to reply yesterday to this, but I see RPH380 did. The Bersa 45UC fits the bill perfectly for me. So here's another plug for the Bersa 45.

very nice...you make those grips?

Quote Originally Posted by TuxAir View Post
    I meant to reply yesterday to this, but I see RPH380 did. The Bersa 45UC fits the bill perfectly for me. So here's another plug for the Bersa 45.
    sweet, Bersa racking up teh points....do any or all of you also have 1911's? and is there much of a tranistion from one gun to another?

These little pistols look like a Cougar and a SIg got put into a drawer and left for a while and did some swapping of gentics if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by SKYDOG308 View Post
    sweet, Bersa racking up teh points....do any or all of you also have 1911's? and is there much of a tranistion from one gun to another?

These little pistols look like a Cougar and a SIg got put into a drawer and left for a while and did some swapping of gentics if you know what I mean

The motion for taking it off safe is the same as a 1911 so transition from carrying a 1911 is not difficult, in that respect. It is a DA/SA pistol & the safety is also a decocker. Many of us carry with one in the chamber, hammer down (can't carry 'cocked & locked') & safety off. The first shot is DA & subsequent shots are SA & that could take some getting used to, compared to a 1911. The size/weight is close to a 3" 1911 with aluminum frame, such as the Colt Defender/New Agent. Grip maybe a little thicker because it is semi-double stacked mag with 7 round capacity.

I have to add another for the 45UC. I carry it everyday, has almost 6K down the pipe trouble free and a pleasure to shoot. It is getting a little neglected since I got the AC Commander.Still my EDC though.

Founding Member (First 100)

This could become a endless thread. Just how many opinions and 45acp pistols are there?
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am

Quote Originally Posted by electricmo View Post
    This could become a endless thread. Just how many opinions and 45acp pistols are there?
    Not really, I figured this site was foremost in attracting American Classic owners or prospective owners, which in my opinion are VERY reasonable people looking for a cost effective means of shooting a high quality 45ACP handgun. Therefore I eliminated the Springers Paras, Auto-ord and Rocks (any Armscor rebranding) by saying, "NOT of a 1911 format."

I had a method to my madness

1. I wanted to find out if there was a substantial base of 1917 shooters hanging around and also what OTHER quality 45 ACP's they may be using,

2. I also wanted to see what features most drew others to select an alternative to the 1911 format.

As you can see above Bersa's has this hands down, XD would likely be second place...no mention of Cougar's except from me and absolutely no hint of anyone even thinking a revolver is an option at all.

I also eliminated single shot liberty pistols and derringers.

3. I value the input from others as to what they consider an alternative to EDC or as their "Service Handgun"

If this thread presents a problem in your thinking, please report it for the moderators to review and shut it down if it likely poises a disruptive force on the AC Forum. I'm totally OK with that.

Founding Member (First 100) pmoore's Avatar

All I have owned so far includes RIA Tac 1911, Bersa/Firestorm Mini 45, and a XD45. I sold the XD, but still have the
    other 2. Both are winners.

Paul

Based on experience, I'll have to mention the following in order of personal preference:
    1. Sig Sauer Model P220 - I carried one for several years when my department issued them and kick myself in the posterior for not having bought it when the department phased them out.
    2. Smith and Wesson Model of 1917, or the new release of the gun from Smith as the new Model of 1917 or the Model of 1950 Army -- I have the 1937 Brazilian Contract version of the gun, and it's a gas to shoot and really not that big -- and I lust for the 1950 Army.
    3. CZ97 -- Anything with CZ on it has to be great. The only problem I have with this model is grip diameter and the fact that it's too large to effectively conceal on my frame.
    4. Ruger P345 -- I had one, and despite the fact that it looks big and ungainly, it's the same size as the 1911 Commander, is double action, quite accurate, and built like a tank. A real good option for the $$$.
    Mike

+1 on the Sig P220. I'll also throw in a vote for the H&K USP.