Founding Member (First 100) Vaden's Avatar

No more Metro Arms for me

I recently acquired a hard chrome Amigo after watching Budsgunshop for months. I was pretty happy that I secured one of the latest batch from last month and boy did I pay a premium for it. Well it finally arrived and after waiting on my mom & pop FFL to get around to getting me in for a transfer I took it home. It was hard to tell what condition the finish was in with all that oil dripping from it when I inspected it and everything else looked pretty decent but once I got it home, I realized that this was in no way as nice as my ACII.

First, the finish...its pretty pathetic. The metal under the chrome in the "scallops" by the trigger and ejection port looks like it was finished with 80 grit sandpaper then chromed over. The slide has pits in it that are now clearly visible, that have been chromed over. The barrel...good god the barrel looks like it was finished on a rough bench grinder then chromed over. There are grind marks, flat spots and all sorts of mess right around the muzzle lockup area. The MIM parts dont just have mold marks which are pretty common, they have pits and gouges like not enough metal was injected. The grips are light wood and nothing like the other 5 designs I have seen on any Amigo pictures...why do they have so many different styles of grips? You never know what your gun is going to come with! And the beavertail, well it fits like it was made for another type of gun altogether. The frame tangs in back are tiny and the beavertail juts out about 2mm. I cant even imagine the amount of grinding I would have to do (followed by an expensive rechrome) to get the beavertail blended in. The thing looks like they took all of the junk parts that have been sitting in the scrap bin and put them together with a rusty pipe wrench and shipped it out.

I guess on the plus side, it fires pretty decent but after I cleaned it the other night I see that there are burrs being raised pretty bad on the reverse spring plug, because the slide wasn't machined properly and has burrs on it.

Is this indicative of the quality on the latest Metro Arms guns? I paid a LOT to get this Amigo and I am ashamed to take it out of its case. Do I have any recourse?
    American Classic Trophy .45ACP
    American Classic Amigo .45ACP
    Glock 22 Gen3 .40S&W
    Glock 27 Gen4 .40S&W

Re: No more Metro Arms for me

I would not have shot it and called Eagle and talked to them. Maybe a PM to BersaSales to discuss in private to get it addressed. I would hope this is just a fluke, but give them a chance to make it right for you.

My blued ACII is absolutely perfect, which is why I cant believe that QC let this Amigo out of the shop. Everyone who has seen or shot my ACII and puts it next to the Kimber for comparison cant believe that its a budget import. I know that demand has gone up across the board for firearms lately and a lot of companies are having issues meeting demands but it sucks when you get one on the low end of the scale, especially after you have backed and talked up a company as much as I have (and no doubt most of us on this forum).
    Glock 22 Gen3 .40S&W
    Glock 27 Gen4 .40S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
    My blued ACII is absolutely perfect, which is why I cant believe that QC let this Amigo out of the shop. Everyone who has seen or shot my ACII and puts it next to the Kimber for comparison cant believe that its a budget import. I know that demand has gone up across the board for firearms lately and a lot of companies are having issues meeting demands but it sucks when you get one on the low end of the scale, especially after you have backed and talked up a company as much as I have (and no doubt most of us on this forum).
    Even the best let one slip through. How they handle it from there will tell you what you need to know. Give them a chance to make it right if it is that bad. My Commander came with a beautiful finish but is well used and less than perfect now.

Founding Member (First 100) Bowhntr6pt's Avatar

Any update? I'd be interested in some pics...

Did you know Bud's sells "seconds?"
    qwiksdraw

Nothing to update yet. Its hard to get clear pics becausr of the chrome but ill try.
    Glock 22 Gen3 .40S&W
    Glock 27 Gen4 .40S&W

Quote Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post

I hope you are talking about "seconds" in regard to finish blemishes only! I certainly wouldn't like to trust my life to a "second".

Where did you get that info I would like to see proof . Now Dan Wesson used to sell pistols that had a blemishe . But nothing wrong with the mechanics . They were at times so small almost impossible to see .
    But this first I have heard of this about Budds . So I would like to see some proof not hear say.
    "You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

My local gun shop / FFL told me about a (regular) customer's experience. His reason to tell me was not to trash Bud's, he was just as concerned because that would not be good for his business either.

Can I show you anything? No. Actually, I hope what this guy at Bud's said is wrong. I just have no reason to doubt the person who told me.
    qwiksdraw

This has to be the worst beavertail fit I've ever seen.

Here you can see the excessive tool chatter on the inside and the ejection port scallop. Its like this on the finger relief scallops by the trigger as well.

Its hard to make out but there is a dull worn spot that affects the chrome finish running along the dust cover. I have tried to polish it out but its too deep in the finish.

Its nearly impossible to get a good clean pictures of the ground up barrel because of the glare but on each side of the barrel you can feel the dimpled and unevenness of the grinding, it seems just to "make it fit" and it has a shiny chrome coating.

Also, the slide stop is a real issue as well. When the slide is locked open, you cannot slingshot the slide because you cannot pull back the slide far enough to get it to push down the ramped edge of the slide stop and disengage. You can only chamber a round from slide lock by dropping the slide lock itself. It also curves slightly out from the frame instead of fitting flush. I had to file down a lot of the inner protrusion because it was contacting the bullet nose twice as bad as the one on my ACII.

Finally, you MUST let the slide drop with force or it will not move fully forward. It will stop about 3/32 out of battery and you have to push it forward the rest of the way to get it to lock up. I am afraid of this thing going off out of battery one day.

Aside from these issues I really do like the Amigo, its just hard to love because it has a lot of flaws. I bought this to be my carry piece but I have to rely on my G27 until this is fixed or I am forced to sell it and look for another compact 1911.
    Glock 22 Gen3 .40S&W
    Glock 27 Gen4 .40S&W

As far as the tooling marks go...That's why I don't like hard chrome. It seems to amplify some imperfections. It also could be..they are chroming the less than perfect ones to cover up imperfections. My blued Amigo's finish looks amazing.

The barrel? The only important part is where it makes contact with the slide at the muzzle end...the rest doesn't matter untill you get to the lugs. Almost every Kimber Carry or Ultra with the bull barrel I have had or seen, has barrels that look like crap behind the bearing surface.

Yep...that grip safety fits like sheit...looks like maybe the pivot hole is off.

Vaden, if you try to sell that like it is, you're going to take a beating. I'd suggest you send those pics to Eagle or a warranty shop & see what they say about it.

Doesn't Buds guaranty them? I would think that Buds may replace it and then deal with the manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
    I recently acquired a hard chrome Amigo after watching Budsgunshop for months. I was pretty happy that I secured one of the latest batch from last month and boy did I pay a premium for it. Well it finally arrived and after waiting on my mom & pop FFL to get around to getting me in for a transfer I took it home. It was hard to tell what condition the finish was in with all that oil dripping from it when I inspected it and everything else looked pretty decent but once I got it home, I realized that this was in no way as nice as my ACII.

First, the finish...its pretty pathetic. The metal under the chrome in the "scallops" by the trigger and ejection port looks like it was finished with 80 grit sandpaper then chromed over. The slide has pits in it that are now clearly visible, that have been chromed over. The barrel...good god the barrel looks like it was finished on a rough bench grinder then chromed over. There are grind marks, flat spots and all sorts of mess right around the muzzle lockup area. The MIM parts dont just have mold marks which are pretty common, they have pits and gouges like not enough metal was injected. The grips are light wood and nothing like the other 5 designs I have seen on any Amigo pictures...why do they have so many different styles of grips? You never know what your gun is going to come with! And the beavertail, well it fits like it was made for another type of gun altogether. The frame tangs in back are tiny and the beavertail juts out about 2mm. I cant even imagine the amount of grinding I would have to do (followed by an expensive rechrome) to get the beavertail blended in. The thing looks like they took all of the junk parts that have been sitting in the scrap bin and put them together with a rusty pipe wrench and shipped it out.

I guess on the plus side, it fires pretty decent but after I cleaned it the other night I see that there are burrs being raised pretty bad on the reverse spring plug, because the slide wasn't machined properly and has burrs on it.

Is this indicative of the quality on the latest Metro Arms guns? I paid a LOT to get this Amigo and I am ashamed to take it out of its case. Do I have any recourse?
    1. You could have refused this at your FFL and Bud's would have had it picked up. I always check guns when they come in and have sent several right back or rather refused to "accept" them. Not one from Bud's, yet.

2. Since you shot it I would send back to Eagle, once you get their approval to do so. I am most positive they will make it right, of all the complaints posted on this forum, I have never seen and instance of where a major customer service issue was ignored or not totally taken care of very promptly and professionally.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

I have never received a second from Bud's.

I just bought a rather expensive rifle from them (3250.00) and I sure as heck question this acquisition that they sell seconds, the rifle has a lifetime warranty from Springfield Armory.

What's your dealers name?
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas